The patient safety component of the C-CEI© evaluates the students’ ability to:
- Adhere to patient safety protocols, including the use of patient identifiers and universal precautions such as proper hand-washing procedures
- Safely and accurately administer medications by demonstrating knowledge of the mechanism of action, side effects, dosage calculations and correct administration technique
- Manage equipment, tubes and drains therapeutically
- Correctly execute procedures—from simple to complex
The Patient Safety Discussion Worksheet is designed to help faculty develop the expected minimum behaviors for each competency within the technical skills component.
When determining the expected minimum behaviors, faculty should take into consideration:
- The grade level of the student participant
- The desired learning outcomes of the scenario
With these in mind, faculty should reach a consensus about the behaviors required to obtain a score of one—demonstrates competency.