Sara E. Banzhaf, DNP, APRN-NP, PMHNP-BC
- Family Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
- Nursing - Doctorate
- Assistant Professor
- Hanson-Latcham, Susan K. , Banzhaf, S.E. Cardiovascular and Metabolic Risk Management in an Adult Population with Schizophrenia: A Quality Improvement Project, Journal of American Psychiatric Nurses Association, 2020
- Banzhaf, Sara E. , Kunes-Connell, Mary A Qualitative Inquiry Addressing the Experience of Depression in Impoverished, Ethnically Diverse Women, Journal of American Psychiatric Nurses Association, 25 (2), 99-111, 2019
- Kirkpatrick, A. , Potthoff, M., Banzhaf, S., Ball, S., Hanks, J.,Connelly, S., Hercinger, M., McCafferty, K. Intraprofessional Simulation's Impact on Advanced Practice and Baccalauretate Student Efficacy, Clinical Stimulation in Nursing, 2018
- Davis, B, Banzhaf, S., McCafferty, K., Tucci, C, Woster, J. Integrating a Spiritual Care Model within An Accelerated Nursing Curriculum, Jesuit Higher Education: A Journal, 2018
- Interprofessional Mental Health Program Model: Integrating a Synergy of Compassion, Ease and Hope to address the Experience of Depression in Ethnically Diverse Impoverished Women. (Banzhaf, S.E, Kunes-Connell, M.) APNA 33rd Annual Conference. New Orleans, LA Poster Presentation , 2019
- St. Albert’s Research Day Creighton University “An Interprofessional Mental Health Program Model: Integrating A Synergy of Compassion, Ease, and
Hope ToAddress the Experience of Depression in Ethnically Diverse Impoverished Women” , 2019
- Addressing Local Health Disparities by Promoting Cultural Competency - presentation at the Global Health Conference Midwest , 2018
- Co-Presenter for the break out session - Establishing Educational and Work Experience at the Annual Psychiatric Nursing Summit - sponsored by the Behavioral Health Education Center of NE , 2017
- Poster Presentation - 2017 University Assessment Symposium Office of Academic Excellence - Title: The Intentional Integration of Spirituality into an Accelerated nursing Program, 2017
- Panel Presentation at the Through the Eye of the Needle: Commitment to Justice in Jesuit Higher Education, Seattle, Washington
Title: Following a Crosswalk: the Intentional Integration of Spirituality in an Accelerated Nursing Curriculum , 2017
- Meeting the needs of pre-licensure nursing students – The intentional integration of ATI skills modules and real-life scenarios into the clinical skills lab. 2017 National Nurse Educator Summit (Orlando, FL), 2017
- The young and the restless: Combining advanced practice and prelicensure nursing students for intraprofessional simulation National Association of Pediatric Nurse Practitioners' (NAPNAP) 38th National Conference on Pediatric Health Care. Denver, CO. – Podium Presentation, 2017
- Poster Presentation accepted for the 2016 Creighton University Assessment Symposium. Title: An Interprofessional simulation's impact on Advanced Practice and Pre-Licensure nursing students' self-efficacy., 2016
- The Impact of an Interprofessional Pediatric Simulation on Advanced Practice and Pre-Licensure Nursing Students’ Self-Efficacy Sigma Theta Tau –Iota Tau 27th Annual Research Day, Creighton University Omaha, NE –Poster Presentation, 2016
- Utilizing Technology and Real-time Assessments to Improve Efficacy and Competence with Technical Skills in Pre-licensure Nursing Students –Accuracy & Efficacy
TLT Showcase: A Celebration of Mission, Technology, and
Teaching – Poster Presentation , 2016
- Utilizing Technology and Real-time Assessments to Improve Efficacy and Competence with Technical Skills in Pre-licensure Nursing Students – Confidence & Communication TLT Showcase: A Celebration of Mission, Technology, and Teaching – Poster Presentation, 2016
- Poster Presentation at the 2015 Creighton University Assessment Symposium: Meeting the Needs of Pre-Licensure Nursing Students – Integrating Skills Into the Clinical Coursework
2015 Creighton Assessment Symposium – Poster Presentation, 2015
Research and Scholarship Interests
- The development of a Concept Based Curriculum for Creighton University Undergraduate Students
Experience of Depression in Impoverished Ethnically Diverse Women and Community Based Interventions
Integration of Spirituality and Reflective Practice into Nursing Curriculum and Faculty Practice
Development of innovative teaching and learning strategies for Psychiatric-Mental Health curriculum and practicum experiences for undergraduate and graduate nursing students
The role of a PMHNP in a community based model facilitating a successful transition to employment for a high risk population
Interprofessional Practice to support integration of psychiatric-mental health promoting quality outcomes.
Innovative and Quality Education for PMHNP
Current Research Projects
- 1. Title of Project: An Interprofessional Mental Health Program Model Addressing the Unique Needs of Impoverished Ethnically Diverse Women Experiencing Depression.
2. Title of Project: Spiritual Integration to Enhance Reflective Practice in the Creighton University Accelerated Nursing Program
3. Addressing the Opioid Use Epidemic: Strategies for Interprofessional Health Education
4. Interprofessional Collaboration in the Management of Older Adults Experiencing Complex Medical and Psychiatric comorbidities.
Grant Funding Received
- Utilizing Technology and Real-time Assessments to Improve Efficacy and Competence with Technical Skills in Pre-Licensure Nursing Students study - Committee on Computing and Academic Technology (CCAT) awarded grant to fund the installation of a camera and capture card to facilitate the study
- Banzhaf, S. E., Davis, B., Woster, J. Tucci, C., McCafferty, K., Kirkpatrick, A., Parks, J., Aufdenkamp, M., Beiermann, T., Slone, C., Minnich, M. (April 2017-December 2018). Spiritual Integration to Enhance Reflective Practice in the Creighton University Accelerated Nursing Program. Funded by Creighton University Office of Academic Excellence And Assessment. $1,150.
- Banzhaf, S. E. (April 1, 2017 – March 31, 2018). An Interprofessional Mental Health Program Model Proposal Addressing the Unique Needs of Impoverished Ethnically Diverse Women Experiencing Depression. Funded by the George F. Haddix President’s Faculty Research Fund. $4,463.
- The purpose of this project has two objectives. The first objective is to develop interactive posters that combine augmented reality with hands-on medication administration principles to meet the student learning outcomes found in the foundational coursework of Pathophysiology, Pharmacology and Health Assessment. The second objective is to develop interactive posters that combine augmented reality with clinical case presentations seen in the Psychiatric Mental Health clinical environment.
- A Haddix Grant application. This applied research study seeks to alleviate ere issues of work-life integration (and assist with broader areas of employee well-being) at our university in addition to publishing articles related to employee well-being, work-life integration, mission fit, etc. PROJECT PLAN: This study will utilize mixed methods- collecting both qualitative and and quantitative data in addition to reviewing relevant documents. Notified that this grant was not selected for funding.
- Creighton University College of Nursing Teaching Excellence Award for Classroom Instruction, Graduating Class of December 2015 at Pinning Ceremony, 2015
- Creighton University College of Nursing Teaching Excellence Award for Clinical Instruction, Graduating Accelerated Class August 2015 , 2015
- Iggy Award (1), Office of Retention , 2016
- Iggy Award (2), Office of Retention , 2016
- The Daisy Faculty Award, Creighton University College of Nursing , 2017