How does earning your Bachelor of Science in nursing (BSN) in less than 12 months sound? Then consider Creighton’s Accelerated BSN program. If you’ve already earned a non-nursing bachelor’s degree or higher, we invite you to apply online.
COVID-19 Alert - application deadline extension
As you are aware, colleges and universities across the country are actively responding to developments pertaining to COVID-19. Creighton University is no exception and we have been working closely with campus leadership to make decisions that are in the best interest of our students, faculty and staff.
With this in mind, Creighton’s College of Nursing will extend our priority application deadline for the Accelerated BSN program for the Fall 2020 term until May 1, 2020. This extension will be our only deadline for the term, thereby eliminating a secondary deadline. This decision was made in an effort to accommodate the longer processing time of application materials that will undoubtedly occur as a result of college and university closings.
Please keep in mind that your application materials must demonstrate your ability to successfully complete this academically rigorous program.
All application materials must be submitted prior to the deadline.
Fall start 2020 (August):
- Priority Deadline: May 1
Admissions decisions for the Fall 2020 term will be sent out via email in mid to late May.
Spring start 2021 (January):
- Priority Deadline: September 1
- Secondary Deadline: October 15
Admissions decisions will be made after each deadline.
You must submit:
- $50 application fee
- Official transcripts from every university and college you attended
- Proof of a bachelor’s or higher degree
- See tabs below for additional admissions requirements
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in another discipline from an accredited college or university
- Evidence of academic achievement of at least a 3.0 grade-point average or higher on a 4.0 scale
- A’s (4.0) and B’s (3.0) are strongly encouraged, especially in natural science courses. A grade of C or below in any natural science course will decrease your chance for admission. You are required to have a C (2.0) or above in the following prerequisite courses:
- 3 semester hours each of:
- Intro to Sociology
- General Psychology
- Developmental Psychology
- 2-3 semester hours of:
- 4 semester hours each of:
- Inorganic/General Chemistry
- Please note that as of October 1, 2017, Organic/Biochemistry has been removed as a prerequisite requirement for the program.
- 3 semester hours each of:
- Science credits earned over 10 years ago will be individually evaluated
Files will be considered for acceptance after you have completed one of the following course sequences:
General Chemistry and Anatomy
General Chemistry and Physiology
Anatomy and Physiology
All prerequisite courses must be completed prior to the start of the program.
Applicants must submit a personal statement that addresses all the following questions. Please use question/answer format with headers for each item listed. Pay close attention to the word count requirements.
1. Describe what drew you to pursue nursing as a career, and how you see yourself contributing to the nursing profession over the next 5-10 years. (approximately 200 words)
2. Describe how your values align with the mission of Creighton University. (approximately 200 words)
3. Describe an uncomfortable situation or ethical dilemma you encountered. What was your response in the situation, and what (if anything) would you do differently and why? (approximately 200 words)
4. The 12-month Accelerated BSN is an academically rigorous program during which much of a student’s time is occupied with school obligations. Describe the strategies you plan to use to successfully complete this challenging program given the competing demands on your time. (approximately 200 words)
5. If applicable, provide a rationale for any of the following discrepancies on your transcripts. Part of this rationale should provide an explanation of what has changed to promote success in this program.
- Grades that are lower than a C
- Courses with a W (withdrawals)
- Semesters in which you were not a full-time student
- Other considerations (extended leaves, previous enrollment in professional programs, misconducts, dismissals)
In our online application, you will be asked to provide an email address for each of your three references. Family members, friends or friends of your family cannot complete recommendation/appraisal forms. Please select:
- Someone from your academic life, preferably an instructor.
- An employer. If you have never been employed, a supervisor or director of volunteer work will be accepted.
- The third person may be another instructor, another employer or a professional colleague.
Please note: You may want to confirm with your references that they will be able to rate you on the following criteria:
- Emotional maturity
- Moral qualities/ethical standards
- Initiative, motivation
- Ability to work under pressure
- Personal integrity
- Retention of information
- Analytical ability
- Judgment/critical thinking
- Ability to problem solve
- Demonstrates potential for success or advanced practice nursing clinical competence
- Ability to work effectively with others
- Quality of written communication
- Quality of spoken communication
Any course work taken at an accredited institution outside of the United States must be evaluated by World Education Services (WES). Creighton’s admissions committee must receive an official evaluation from WES directly. Photo copies will not be accepted.
World Education Services
PO Box 745, Old Chelsea Station
New York, NY 10113-0745;
Phone: (212) 966-6311
Fax: (212) 966-6395
This school is authorized under Federal law to enroll nonimmigrant international students. Ability to speak and write correct grammatical English is imperative. All applicants who are not native speakers of English or who have obtained a high school diploma or degree outside of the United States must present a TOEFL score of 600 on the Paper-Based Test (PBT) or iBT score of at least 100. Scores over 2 years old will not be accepted. Students must ask the ETS (the testing agency) to send original TOEFL scores to Creighton University (Institutional Code 6121). The College of Nursing reserves the right to require students to re-take the exam. It is also at the discretion of the College of Nursing as to whether a TOEFL score is required of applicants who have earned a college degree from a United States university.
Free Practice TOEFL Tests: http://www.testpreppractice.net/
When is the application deadline?
The College of Nursing has switched to a standard deadline process and will no longer admit students on a rolling basis. Application materials must be submitted prior to the application deadline. Applications will not be reviewed until after the deadline has passed. Each term will have two deadlines: a priority deadline and a secondary deadline. It is recommended to apply by the priority deadline for the best chance of admission. The deadlines for the Spring start are September 1 and October 15. The deadlines for the Fall start are April 1 and May 1.
When should I apply?
You can start the application process at any point. We recommend applying early to ensure that we receive all application materials prior to the deadline. Please note: If you are applying through NursingCAS, there is about a week turnaround time between when your application is completed through their system, and when it is sent to us. Keep this in mind when applying close to the deadlines.
Do I need all my prerequisite courses done before I can apply to the program? Where should I complete any prerequisite courses that I still need to take?
Yes, all prerequisite courses must be completed before you can begin our program. You may complete them at any accredited institution and are advised to inquire if certain courses will meet these requirements. Your files will be considered for admission upon completion of one of the following course sequences:
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Anatomy and General Chemistry
- Physiology and General Chemistry
What if my GPA is below a 3.0?
We review all complete applications and weigh acceptance on all aspects of the application. This includes your personal statement and recommendation forms. We calculate a cumulative GPA of all of your previous undergraduate coursework. This calculation includes prerequisite courses. A GPA below 3.0 could be grounds for decline.
What if I have questions about prerequisites?
Contact our admissions counselors to set up an appointment or arrange for a copy of your unofficial transcripts to be sent in for an unofficial review.
What financial aid is available?
You’ll complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) to qualify for federal aid. Since the Accelerated program is a secondary degree program, fewer scholarships are readily available. The College of Nursing offers need-based and endowed scholarships once you are an enrolled student here, but these are not awarded upon acceptance into the program. You’re welcome to contact our Financial Aid Office with further questions at 402.28.2731.
Can I still work during the program?
You will not have enough time in your schedule to continue outside employment during your enrollment in our program.
Do I need letters of recommendation?
Three references are required. Each reference will need to complete the recommendation/appraisal forms, which we provide. No personal recommendations from family or friends will be accepted. Required recommendations include:
- Academic (e.g. faculty)
- Professional reference of your choice
Should I apply through NursingCAS?
You are not required to submit an application through NursingCAS. If you are required to use the system for another school, you are welcome to designate Creighton as well. We will accept your transcripts as official and your recommendations. We do not require a supplemental application to be completed through the College of Nursing’s website, however please be sure to visit our website to have a clear understanding of all admission requirements.
I attended Creighton University for my previous degree. Do I still need to request Creighton University transcripts?
No. We are able to access those transcripts for you, however, any non-Creighton transcripts that you previously submitted to Creighton for your previous degree will need to be resent.
Where should I have my transcripts mailed?
All official transcripts for the accelerated program can be emailed to EnrollmentServices [at] creighton [dot] edu or mailed to:
2500 California Plaza
Omaha, NE 68178
Once you have met the academic qualifications for acceptance into Creighton’s College of Nursing, you will be required to complete the Safety and Technical Standards form. This is designed to validate your ability to meet the cognitive, affective and psychomotor requirements of the curriculum, with or without reasonable accommodations, consistent with the Americans with Disabilities Act.